Quote

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Of Late

I sometimes work Sundays. I'm a college student and I'm poor. Yeah.
So on Sundays, I come to work directly after church. That means that I'm usually unlike my sloppy peers because I'm wearing my Sunday best.

This Sunday, it was about 10°F (which for you metric junkies is a balmy -12°C ) outside with winds even lower. And about the time that my work got over, my cousin called and told me that he was running late by about an hour. The building would be closed promptly at six. I'd die of hypothermia if I chose to stand out.
My options:
The Mall- I'll have to walk for about 20 minutes which is really not worth it. And I'll end up buying something I don't really need.
The train station and then to my home. As an option it seems quite good. But again, it was a thirty minute walk to home.
It was then that I noticed the fancy restaurant across the street.
Okay, honestly, I didn't think this much. As soon as I hung up. I looked both ways, like my mom always told me to do, and crossed the street.
I just intended to stand in the entrance. So I could see my cousin and not become an overcoat-wearing popsicle. As soon as I entered, this waitress opened this door for me and asked me whether I had a reservation.
"No" I replied honestly
"That's alright", She continued, "Where would you like to be seated?"
"By the window"
"Alright, here we go"
She handed me a fancy napkin rolled over a fork and knife. I took it and thanked her.
About five minutes later, this asian waiter comes up to me and says;
"Good evening sir! Would you like any drinks? Or are you waiting for someone?"
"Yes I'm waiting" I said
"No problem, please ask for Ron whenever you're ready to order."
"Alright"
I called my cousin and told him to call me when he's about five minutes away.
Meanwhile, I sit there, staring at all the couples eating, counting the fancy bulbs on the chandelier, staring at the rich carpet and just plain waiting.
Twenty minutes later, Ron comes up to me again and asks whether I'd like to order anything. I repeat myself and say that I'm waiting for someone.
He gives me a glass of water, unasked. I get a new thing to play with. The condensation on the outside of the glass is fascinating... really.

Finally my phone rings. I answer it and start walking towards the door.
Ideally, I'd have loved if no one saw me leaving. But, well considering Murphy's Law, someone just had to. Ron greeted me and asked whether I was leaving.
"Yes," I said "she stood me up."
"Oh, I'm so sorry."
"It's all right. It had to happen I guess."
I had to try very hard to maintain the straight face. I cross the road, jump into my cousin's car and burst out laughing.
My cousin looks at me quizzically.
"I had a date" I explain.

6 comments:

The Poodle's Friend said...

Wow. Quick thinking much? I don't think I would have been able to maintain the straight face. Seriously, hats off.

niTin said...

Well confession time before you make a hero out of me.
The whole time, I was totally petrified...
What if they saw through me and found that I'm just hogging one of their seats (and potential customers). Is that enough reason to call the police or would they do to me what they do to non-payers in India and make me do the dishes?

Szerelem said...

The ending had me going "What the .....????!!!!!"
Twist in the tale, eh?

Panacea said...

muhhahahah, you really pulled that one! I'd probably couldn't have done it. I'm terrifed about starting to giggle in the middle of things like these :)

Neha said...

lol..smart one.. i feel bad for Ron :P

Me and a couple of friends once walked out of a restaurant here.. when we were in college..we didnt realize how expensive it was while going in.. had water..looked at the menu and then decided we had no choice but to go..lol

niTin said...

>>>Szerlem
I did it only because while I was sitting there playing with the condensation, I thought it would be so much fun to do this... just so that I could put it on my blog and also wondering whether I could actually pull such a thing off.

>>>Pan
You wouldn't giggle if you were utterly petrified.

>>>Neha
Yep. This was also one of those upscale restaurants. Otherwise I would've bought at least something.