Quote

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

I re-meme-ber

Yes, yes I know. Dear Pan tagged me for a meme. The problem is that I don't use iTunes (I don't normally jump onto the Brandwagon you see) or any other software that actually counts the number of times I play a song. Sad, I know.
So I just needed to take a week or two to check for myself the songs that I really repeat and play, and what I could glean from my now defunct last.fm account and from my Creative Zen.
Furthermore, I feel I must say something about my music history. Back home when I lived with my parents, I didn't have an internet connection to talk of. And neither did I have decent music. My mother, you see, thought that English music was from the spawn of the devil and didn't allow any in the house. I found a way to keep in touch with the world through a couple of good hearted friends who were nice enough to lend me their CDs. Now CDs were contraband in our school and that was the only place we could actually meet and exchange stuff. But we did them anyway. We hid CDs on top of AC's and behind Display Board Charts, somehow got it home. At home they would always be kept within the text book covers. Ha, we were devious little devils as you can imagine.
So now on with the meme.

10. Sting-Stolen car
For some reason, I just love this song. Catchy.
9. Rabbi Shergill- Bulla Ki Jaana, Jugni and other random songs.
He's a Punjabi singer. Okay I don't know Punjabi, and no that doesn't make me any less Indian. His lyrics are Sufi (the translations are readily available online anyway) and his style is like Bruce Springsteen's. Could you really ask for more?
8. A.R Rahman- Random songs including (especially) Tamil ones.
Now, I don't quite know Tamil either, but it's the music that totally gets you. Music director/singer/ lyricist par excellence...
7. Alain Souchon- C'est déjà ça
French. Need I say more?
6. Andrea Bocelli- The entire Amore album especially, Pero te Extrano, Mi Manchi and Somos Novios. Again I don't know Italian. Whatever.
5. Burt Bacharach- Depending on my romantic situation either "What the world needs now is love" or "I will never fall in love again"
4. Neil Young- Heart of Gold
Classic.
3. The Shirelles- Will you still love me tomorrow?
"Tonight you're mine, completely...
but will you love me tomorrow"
Everytime I listen to this song I hope it will be yes... but I get the feeling that it won't be.
2. Beatles- Many many songs.
1.75 Sigur Rós- Ágætis Byrjun
Out of this world.
1.5 Amr Diab- Habibe and Tamally ma'ak
Arabic Pop. Lovely
1.25 Yanni- All. Especially Marching Season
1. Pehla Nasha: Catchy bollywood romantic number...

Pehla nasha, pehla khumaar
(First intoxication, first spirit)
Naya pyaar hai, naya intezaar
(This is a new love, a new longing)
Kar loon main kya apna haal
(What should I do with my state)
Ae dil-e-beqaraar
(Oh restless heart)
Mere dil-e-beqaraar, tu hi bata
(My restless heart, show me)

see?

Now that I have somehow finished the list, I can think of gazillions other songs I seem to listen to all the time. Sigh. Some other time, some other meme perhaps.
Edit: I just noticed the stark absence of any songs from my "mother-tongue".

5 comments:

Panacea said...

Nice list!

I love Pehla Nasha, however funny the translated lyrics seem to be. It sounds so much better in Hindi :)

PS: Happy Diwali!

niTin said...

Why! Happy Diwali to you too.
I read about your dismal Diwali... I have nothing but symphathies to offer. But actually I mustn't complain a lot... firecrackers were banned in the Gulf, where I lived.
Sorry about the translations, I got them from some obscure site. I should've credited them but was too lazy.
It's basically for the benefit of those who don't know hindi/urdu.

The Poodle's Friend said...

OMG! MEME!
You have to tag people, though. Otherwise, liek, you'll, liek, be unlucky for liek, ten years! LIEK, TOTALLY!

Ha! Your hiding of CDs reminds me of Rory's Korean friend in Gilmore Girls.

niTin said...

Oh gosh, sowwie. Forgot.
But, what is it with you and "liek" anyway?

The Poodle's Friend said...

I was trying to imitate silly american chain letters. Obviously, I project too mature an image to be even remotely credible. Sigh.