Quote

Sunday, October 08, 2006

It's testy-terone baby.

I watched "The Departed" today. No, don't close the window, no spoilers I promise.
As I was leaving the theatre, I heard this woman explaining to her friend on the phone- "It had a lot of violence, it was like the Godfather" I think that is apt enough. I've always loved the idea of twin foils: one reason I lurved "Tale of Two Cities". It was very interesting to watch the psychological aspect of not having an identity of one's own and living in a delusional world that could be very hostile to their very existence.
Bah. Whom am I kidding? We watch movies to see blood... lots of it spilling and splattering and splashing all over the screen- randomly. And for the sex, with "Comfortably numb" playing in the background... how can I not like this movie?
Matt Damon is utterly cute as the bad guy. But he's easily surpassed by Jack Nicholson. I don't think he's played the villian since Batman. Nicholson is just sexay.
I can't understand why "nice guys" complain that the girls are always attracted to the "off-color guys". Well of course they are, what do you expect? Who wants a weepy stable guy? Gimme an unpredictable, capricious "bad boy" any day. Only creeps and nerds would be attracted to despicably-hair-styled Tom Hanks in The Da Vinci Code; Albino Paul Bettany on the other hand... slurp. I could give you thousands of examples... but I will restrain myself.

I'm a fan of Scorsese's works. Entertaining as well as arty. His final frame is worth dying for.

2 comments:

Neha said...

hey this one hasnt released here yet...i think its releasing next week...

niTin said...

Dunno whether girls would find it interesting, what with all the gangstas and violence... But it's got Matt Damon and Leo DiCaprio, and it's about men killing each other. Reasons enough?