Quote

Monday, October 23, 2006

Movie criticisms w/o plots

There are certain movies that just push the boundaries of your definitions. Before Friday if someone had asked me whether I have a "best movie I hate"? I'd have just given the person my best frosty-nosed look. On Friday, I watched "Requiem for a Dream". I watched the movie alone, at around 2 am with ear phones. And it scared the shit out of me. Seriously. I had to call a friend (inspite it being 4:30 in the morning) after watching the movie to calm my nerves. It wasn't essentially horror ( I actually find "horror" flicks cheesy) but it was scary nonetheless. It was fantastically done, with fine acting and an excellent plot/storyline. The movie was quite normal in most ways... the usual sex, the usual violence.
I just had to examine why this movie elicited such a response and found that this movie lacked hope. Most Hollywood movies, even tragedies, give some sort of hope in the end - at least to somehow convey that nothing worse will happen. But not this one. It was just one downspiral.

On Sunday, a couple of friends and I went to watch Don. Trust Bollywood to keep you entertained, I mean really entertained. It is actually a remake of an old movie. As far as remakes go, I'm not too keen on them. But since the former one was done by the inimitable Amitabh Bachchan, and the new one by Shahrukh Khan, I mean the Shahrukh Khan (lovingly called SRK), I had to watch the movie.
The movie wasn't an exact phot0copy though, it really was refreshingly different. I loved it for its own merits. SRK is old though. His face all plastered up. But his energy is just breathtaking.

I went with a couple of friends of my cousin. There was a lady in front of him, and he couldn't really see the screen properly. So we acted like pricks, made loud noises, rang each other on the cell phones till she got up and left. Pack mentatility. But it was so snappy to act like a teenager. I'd so hate teenagers when I grow up, oh wait, haven't I?

4 comments:

The Poodle's Friend said...

Oh, I so know what you mean by movies that end without hope. Ever seen Arlington Road?

niTin said...

There it's on my list now.

Panacea said...

OMG, you vandal teenager, you! I hate guys in groups who behave like that :D

I can't believe that you've seen Don. I feel like the only person in the whole world who has not seen the more and will not be able to see it for another month or so.

niTin said...

Yeah. I'm quite ashamed of it too. But what can you say to people who've bought your ticket for you?
Yeah, not only did I get to watch Don; I also watch it free.
Yay.
You can get a bootlegged copy of Don through torrents... or are you anal for that too?